Death Antidepressants & Alcohol 09/05/2010 England 33 Year Old Man Dies From Respiratory Depression: Mixed Alcohol with Depression Med
||Antidepressants & Alcohol
||33 Year Old Man Dies From Respiratory Depression: Mixed Alcohol with Depression Med
|Paragraph four reads: "She said: '"I explained that this was not the solution. I took him to the doctor who put him on anti-depressants'."
Paragraph eleven reads: "A toxicology report showed he was 5.5 times over the legal driving limit, with 456mg per 100ml of blood. A level over 400mg is generally considered fatal. The cause of death was respiratory depression due to alcohol intoxication."
SSRI Stories Note: The Physicians Desk Reference states that antidepressants can cause a craving for alcohol and can cause alcohol abuse. Also, the liver cannot metabolize the antidepressant and the alcohol simultaneously, thus leading to higher levels of both alcohol and the antidepressant in the human body.
Death caused by drinking too muchA DEPRESSED man consumed so much alcohol that it led to his death.
Dilbagh Singh, 33, of Gloucester Avenue, Manor Park, had separated from his wife some nine months before his death and was depressed about not being able to see his daughter.
An inquest at Windsor Guildhall on Thursday last week (6/5) heard how Mr Singh had a history of heavy alcohol use.
A statement from his mother Jardish Virk said in the days before his death he was feeling very lonely and did not want to live anymore.
She said: "I explained that this was not the solution. I took him to the doctor who put him on anti-depressants."
On Sunday, December 13 a friend asked Mr Singh's mother where he was as he could not get in touch with him. His mother could not get in touch with her son either that day and the next day she got no response at his home.
Her statement said: "I was concerned enough to call a neighbour later to ask them to go round again. The neighbour called me back to say Dilbagh is not well."
Friend Harpal Singh usually went round to Mr Singh's house on his break from working on Farnham Road. He last saw him on December 13 when he had been drinking, but could not get in touch with him on December 14 so went round to his house.
He said: "There was no answer at the door. I went round to the rear because I saw a light was on. I found the back door was unlocked. I went in and found Dilbagh lying on the sofa. I could not rouse him so I called an ambulance."
Death was declared at the home address on December 14.
A toxicology report showed he was 5.5 times over the legal driving limit, with 456mg per 100ml of blood. A level over 400mg is generally considered fatal. The cause of death was respiratory depression due to alcohol intoxication.
Coroner Peter Bedford recorded a verdict of misadventure. He said: "A man who is a habitual heavy drinker has consumed an excessive amount. There is no reason for me to believe that he expected by doing so that he would not survive."