Stand-Off With Police Med For Depression Withdrawal 14/09/2011 West Virginia Man Has 3 Hour Stand-Off With Police: Threatens Suicide & Harm to Others
Stand-Off With Police Med For Depression Withdrawal 2011-09-14 West Virginia Man Has 3 Hour Stand-Off With Police: Threatens Suicide & Harm to Others

Paragraph 26 reads: "Officers were told the man hadn’t been taking his medicine for depression, so that could be the problem."

SSRI Stories note: Withdrawal can often be more dangerous than continuing on a medication. It is important to withdraw extremely slowly from these antidepressants, usually over a period of a year or more, under the supervision of a qualified specialist. Withdrawal is sometimes more severe than the original symptoms or problems.

SWAT team arrests man after three-hour standoff in Hockinson

By John Branton
Columbian Staff Reporter

Originally published September 14, 2011 at 9:50 p.m., updated September 14, 2011 at 10:58 p.m.

Sheriff’s deputies including SWAT officers took a man into custody after a three-hour standoff around a home in the Hockinson area Wednesday night.

The first alerts of a report of a man firing shots came over emergency radio scanners about 7:45 p.m., sending officers to a home in the area of Northeast Davis and Ward roads and 192nd Avenue, northeast of Orchards.

Officers were told the man had large-caliber handguns.

Later, officers learned that people were inside the house and the gunman was outside, possibly hiding in a tree.

An officer radioed that police had seen a handgun, but it wasn’t known whether he had rifles around the base of the tree.

Officers said their main concern was the safety of the people inside. One radioed that “he can get into the house long before we can.”

An officer indicated that police might be prepared to shoot the man if he tried to run inside.

Shortly after 9 p.m., officers had the place surrounded and were trying to get someone inside the home to open a sliding door or window and get out.

“I’m all suited up with night vision,” an officer said.

“We’re 100 percent sure he’s in the tree,” an officer radioed.

Officers said they believed they could see the man in the tree, though it was dark.

Police had called an armored vehicle called a Bearcat to the scene.

An officer radioed that they might get inside the Bearcat and move closer to the tree while using a loud speaker to tell the man to surrender.

Officers using the loud speaker were told to tell the man police were there to help him, and to drop the gun.

About 9:30 p.m., officers said the man was climbing down from the tree. The man was yelling and “verbally non-compliant.”

Officers were still concerned he might try to run inside the house, and later said he was crawling.

“If he tries to get in the house we can’t allow that,” an officer said.

“Understood,” another officer said.

Officers said the man was holding a gun to his chin.

Some officers said they lost sight of the man.

“We believe he’s under the Dumpster,” police said.

“We’re trying to engage him in conversation,” an officer said.

The man was walking around, an officer radioed at 9:50 p.m. Officers on the loud speaker could be heard in the background, urging the man to surrender.

About 9:55 p.m., officers said deputies were inside the house with family members, and that they should find places outside their line of fire.

An officer said that, if the man were to shoot himself, they should hold their positions until someone could make a safe approach.

Officers were told the man hadn’t been taking his medicine for depression, so that could be the problem.

About 10:20 p.m., it appeared that the man was talking with a negotiator and discussing surrendering. He wanted to know what crime he would be charged with if he did.

The answer: reckless endangerment.

As for the man’s demeanor, police said it was changing from very animated to quiet and looking around.

At about 10:40 p.m., the man surrendered to officers and was taken into custody without further incident. No injuries were reported.

Police said the man had no criminal or mental health history. This incident apparently began with the man saying he would leave his wife, officers said.